Pages

Thursday, April 19, 2012

Doing My Best to Help the Planet



Holy Cow! There’s a lot of green going on. Lately it’s been crazy with Green. Reduce, Reuse, Recycle is being taught to our children this week in school. My son is coming home telling me what we should recycle and all about saving our planet. I think he told me the other day that if we don’t take care of our planet, we will have to live in the water.  That’s pretty interesting coming from a 5 year old.

I know I would love to live Green. I have done some small things around my house to be more energy efficient and recycle using the blue bin that the city provides. We also clean our clothing in cold water and use our air conditioner and heater on the temperatures that we can handle to cut some cost.

It’s crazy how many things we have on our in or around our houses that take away from the planet and harm our households. I’m just now learning about all of it myself and there is a lot to learn and so much we can still change in our home. I am however not going to stress about it and I’m not going to go nuts about getting everything out of my home and start living like a scary Green person.

This week I started reading a book called “Green Mama – The Guilt-Free Guide to Helping You and Your Kids Save the Planet” by Tracey Bianchi. It’s been really eye opening for me to see what is going on around us. The chemicals we consume in our foods, to things we wear and cleaning supplies. I’m amazed at how much we don’t know about our surroundings.

The book is great for someone who is thinking about doing some changes but also offers some things for the person who really wants to go all out and be super Green. I don’t know about being super Green it seems like a big stretch to me but I wouldn’t mind implementing some more changes.

The book helps you understand the information out there and inspires you to do what you can with “Green Steps” she provides in the book. It’s filled with great resources on where you can shop and what you find online to help you make better choices for you and your family. Ideas to help guide you along the way of thinking more about our environment.

“Green Mama” makes it seems like it’s doable but also still a bit overwhelming for someone like me. I think I’ll just take one baby step at a time and every little bit I do will make a difference.

What have you done in your life or home to be better about saving our planet? Do you recycle, buy organic products, take your own bags to the grocery store?

"Green Mama" is available through Zondervan

No comments:

Post a Comment