Pages

Monday, April 30, 2012

Teaching Your Children Who They Are in Christ



As a parent I really get sad when my children feel worthless. I have spent quite a bit of my life feeling the same way until about 10 years ago when I started working at a Christian radio station and I started learning about whom I am and what I had to offer the world around me.

The other day my 12 year old son got upset and we talked about what made him sad. He shared that he felt, he was never good enough. My heart hurt when I heard him say this. I know that feeling all to well and I never want my kids to feel that way. I decided that day that I would start to teach my children who they are in Christ.

It is so important for everyone to know child or adult who God says you are to him. The world is full of mean and imperfect people. Almost everyday you are going to find someone who is going to do something to get you started on the roller coaster ride and make you feel worthless. It doesn’t take much to make you feel bad about yourself. One wrong word and you go on the ride.

I want my children to be armed with truth, so when those times come up they can think about the wonderful things about them.

I decided I would make some cards with the following verses on them for my sons when they feel overwhelmed with unworthiness and right special notes on the mirror for them to remember who they are to me and to God.

Here are some of the scriptures I used. 

I am the apple of his eye.
Zech. 2:8 – For this is what the LORD Almighty says: “After he has honored me and has sent me against the nations that have plundered you—for whoever touches you touches the apple of his eye--

I am worth dying for.
John 3:16 – For God so loves the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.  

I am written on his hands.
Isaiah 49:16 - See, I have engraved you on the palms of my hands; your walls are ever before me.

I am God’s workmanship.
Eph. 2:10 - For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.

I am God’s child.
John 1:12 - Yet to all who received him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God.

I am complete in Christ.
Col. 2:10 - and you have been given fullness in Christ, who is the head over every power and authority.

I am never forgotten.
Isaiah 49:15 - "Can a mother forget the baby at her breast and have no compassion on the child she has borne? Though she may forget, I will not forget you!

I am always with God.
Deut. 31:6 – Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you no forsake you.

I am blessed.
Eph. 1:3 - Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in the heavenly realms with every spiritual blessing in Christ.

I am important.
Luke 12:7 - Indeed, the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Don't be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows.

When it’s hard to figure out what is from God and what is not, here is a great way to measure it.

When the Good SHEPHERD speaks to His own, He never uses words of despair, hopelessness, frustration, defeat, discouragement, fear, confusion, or failure. Instead He gives His sheep words of HOPE, rest, VICTORY, peace, power, JOY, triumph, and LOVE. - Roy Lessin

No comments:

Post a Comment