Pages

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

10 Steps to Finger Weaving

I remember doing this when I was in grade school. My friends and I would set on the steps in front of the school and make a ton of bracelets and necklaces. One year my mom made me make some for our Christmas tree. It took forever to make it long enough but I did it and it made a nice addition to the tree.

Over the years I’ve made these with my nieces and taught them how to do it too.

Step 1
Wrap around your thumb about 3 times. Take the yarn and weave it in and out of each finger. Start behind your index finger and go back and forth. 


Step 2
Now take your yarn and go around back and wrap it around the front. Lay the yarn just above your bottom yarn. 


Step 3
Take the yarn from your middle finger and pick it up and go over the yarn above and put it over your finger. Do the same with your picky finger.  You should now have all four fingers wrapped. 



Step 4
Now take your yarn and go around back and to the front and over all four fingers. (like shown)


Step 5
Take the yarn from your index finger and pick it up and go over the yarn above and put over your finger. Continue until all fingers are done. (your fingers should look like what is shown)


Step 6
Continue Step 5 about 3 more times. Take yarn off thumb and pull the string to see the length. Continue step 5 until desired link. 


Step 7
When you reach your desired link stop. Take the yarn you are using to wrap around your fingers and this time take the very end of the yarn and put it through the bottom of your wrapped index finger. (like shown)


Step 8
Take the wrap off your finger and continue with the rest of your fingers. You should have nothing on your fingers when you’re finished. 


Step 9
Pull the string to make the end tight. Take other end and pull it too.  


Step 10
Take the ends and tie it together to make a bracelet, necklace or whatever you like. 

 Note: In case your wondering what happened to my hand, I fell on the floor furnace when I was about 1.  

Do you finger weave? What have you made with your finger weaves?

No comments:

Post a Comment